Producers Gui...

Producers Guild moves to expel him, Woody Allen clarifies comments

0
30


CLOSE

The board of governors for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has revoked Harvey Weinstein’s membership. In a statement, board members say they’re sending a message that “sexually predatory behavior … in our industry is over.”
USA TODAY

Shamed movie mogul Harvey Weinstein is on his way out of the Producers Guild of America. 

The PGA’s National Board of Directors and Officers (20 women and 18 men) voted unanimously Monday in Los Angeles to “institute termination proceedings concerning Harvey Weinstein’s membership,” according to a statement by guild presidents Gary Lucchesi and Lori McCreary emailed to USA TODAY. 

Under the guild’s constitution, Weinstein now has three weeks to respond before the guild makes a final determination on November 6.  

The guild statement also announced the creation of an anti-sexual harassment task force “specifically charged with researching and proposing substantive and effective solutions to sexual harassment in the entertainment industry. “

“Sexual harassment of any type is completely unacceptable,” the guild statement said. “This is a systemic and pervasive problem requiring immediate industry-wide action.  
The PGA calls on leaders throughout the entertainment community to work together to ensure that sexual abuse and harassment are eradicated from the industry.”

The guild’s action came after an emergency board meeting over Weinstein, who received the PGA’s Milestone Award in 2013 with his brother, Bob Weinstein. 

It’s the latest professional slap at Weinstein, the former powerhouse producer who’s been accused in the last two weeks of raping or sexually assaulting dozens of women, including major stars, in episodes dating back decades.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences voted to expel Weinstein on Saturday, and the British Academy of Film and Television Arts suspended him last week. On Sunday, French President Emmanuel Macron said he had “started the procedures” to rescind Weinstein’s Legion of Honor award. The award was given to Weinstein in 2012 after the producer’s French film The Artist won several Oscars.

Woody Allen ‘clarifies’ his comments on Weinstein

Woody Allen had second thoughts Monday about what he said about Weinstein and the allegations against him.  

Allen’s publicist issued a statement Monday to USA TODAY saying the Oscar-winning filmmaker was “surprised” at the criticism he received after he was asked about Weinstein in an interview with the BBC.

“When I said I felt sad for Harvey Weinstein I thought it was clear the meaning was because he is a sad, sick man,” Allen said in the statement emailed by Hannah Donahue of 42West in New York. “I was surprised it was treated differently. Lest there be any ambiguity, this statement clarifies my intention and feelings.”

Allen, who worked with Weinstein on films that include the Oscar-winning Mighty Aphrodite, was asked about the besieged producer while promoting his film Wonder Wheel in London. 

“The whole Harvey Weinstein thing is very sad for everybody involved,” Allen said in a story published Sunday. “Tragic for the poor women that were involved, sad for Harvey that (his) life is so messed up.”

Allen, who was accused by his daughter, Dylan, her mother Mia Farrow and her brother Ronan Farrow of abusing Dylan when she was a child, added that he hoped the allegations against Weinstein would not lead to a “witch hunt atmosphere… where every guy in an office who winks at a woman is suddenly having to call a lawyer to defend himself. That’s not right either.” (Allen denied he ever abused his daughter; the allegations were never proven and he was never charged.) 

Ronan Farrow wrote the New Yorker piece that detailed many of Weinstein’s alleged sexual assaults.

Weinstein news: James Corden apologizes for joke, intern alleges 1980 encounter

Can Weinstein be charged? Here’s what could happen next

Since The New York Times and The New Yorker published scathing allegations of decades of sexual harassment and assault (which he denies) last week, Weinstein has been fired from the company he co-founded, left by his wife and expelled from the academy that gives out the Oscars. 

Dolly Parton says she never had a problem with Weinstein

The country music icon and actress said in an interview with Varney & Co. on the Fox Business Network Monday that she’s shocked at the allegations. 

“Well yeah, that’s really a heartbreaking thing all around,” she said. “I only worked with Harvey once and the only thing I remember, he worked my butt off. He was a businessman also, but I never had the problems with him that some others did but that happens a lot. I’ve been in this business a long time.”

She said the scandal may embolden more women to speak up if they are sexually assaulted or coerced. “I think things like this are going to bring it to the forefront and I think that will give them extra strength to say, ‘hey remember what happened here you better back off a little bit,’ ” she said.

“But I myself have been in this a long time and I grew up in a family of six brothers and my dad and my uncle so they kind of taught me the ropes if I got in those situations,” she added. “So I just kind of have been lucky really, luckier than most. But it’s a sad situation, I agree.” 

New York police looking into possible new Weinstein accusers

The New York Police Department said Monday that detectives are investigating whether there are additional women who have accused Weinstein of sexual crimes in New York City. 

“There have been published reports indicating that there may be additional victims of sex offenses by Harvey Weinstein in New York City. The Detective Bureau has been following up on this information and conducting a review to determine if any official complaints have been received,” said Sgt. Jessica McRorie in a statement to USA TODAY from the office of the Deputy Commissioner of Public Information.

She added the NYPD is also seeking information on Weinstein allegations via its CrimeStoppers Hotline at 800-577-TIPS. 

NBC News reported Monday that detectives are investigating “two credible allegations of sexual assault” made against Weinstein, quoting “a senior law enforcement official with direct knowledge of the matter.”  

The New York Daily News reported Sunday that New York detectives are investigating a new claim by a woman who says Weinstein sexually assaulted her more than 10 years ago in Manhattan. The tabloid quoted an unnamed “high-ranking police source” for what it described as a “new” allegation called into police last week.

CLOSE

The Weinstein Company may have a potential buyer, who happens to be a close friend of President Trump.
Buzz60

Weinstein was investigated in 2015 in New York after model Ambra Battilana Gutierrez accused him of groping her. That case included an audio clip from a sting operation in which Weinstein can be heard pressuring her to come into his hotel room and seemingly admitted to groping her. Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance Jr.’s office subsequently decided not to prosecute in that case.

Weinstein is also under investigation in London, where the Metropolitan Police said Sunday that a woman reported being assaulted in 2010, 2011 and 2015 by Weinstein. The police force said officers from its Child Abuse and Sexual Offenses Command are investigating.

These allegations follow another reported Wednesday in London by British actress Lysette Anthony, who said Weinstein raped her in her home in the late 1980s. Related:  A timeline of Harvey Weinstein

The Weinstein Company has found a potential lifeline.

Weinstein‘s former company, left in upheaval after firing the embattled studio executive last week, on Monday announced the start of negotiations with the investment firm Colony Capital about  a potential sale.

In a press release, The Weinstein Company announced a preliminary agreement with Colony Capital for an immediate infusion of cash.

The companies will then negotiate over the sale of some or all of Weinstein’s assets.

“On behalf of the board, we are pleased to announce this agreement and potential strategic partnership with Colony Capital,” board member Tarak Ben Ammar said in a statement.

“We believe that Colony’s investment and sponsorship will help stabilize the Company’s current operations, as well as provide comfort to our critical distribution, production and talent partners around the world. ”

Colony Capital founder Tom Barrack, a California businessman and longtime associate of President Trump, shared in a statement that he plans to “help return the Company to its rightful iconic position in the independent film and television industry.”

Autoplay

Show Thumbnails

Show Captions

Read or Share this story: https://usat.ly/2wYZmIk



Source link

LEAVE A REPLY